The usual drink for all the people of the world!

After water, tea is the most consumed beverage in the world. Looking at the popularity, income, and specialized categories of tea, it seems that today we should be thankful to those who made tea lose its aristocratic status and reach the masses, a strange thanks to the Mongols this time!
True, after the conquest of China by the Mongols, tea became available to the common people.
Perhaps the attention and popularity of this drink among other drinks seem a little unfair, but considering that tea has existed since 2700 BC, it is not surprising that tea is a fixed part of life and the usual expense of the people of the world. Has become.

Tea consumption in the world

The total consumption of tea in the world is 300000 tons per year. In the last ten years, tea consumption has grown by 50,000 tons. Tea consumption is more popular in India than in other countries. Indian people drink approximately 6,200,000 tons of tea annually. The largest tea-consuming country is China, followed by England and Japan. About 1,400,000 tons of tea are consumed in Japan every year. New Zealanders and Australians drink as much tea as Japanese people. However, if we compare the amount of tea drunk per person, the people of England drink the most tea. Then Morocco, Qatar, Turkey, and Qatar. India, China, and Russia are large countries with high populations, therefore, the total amount of tea consumed is high, but this does not mean that everyone drinks a lot of tea daily. People in some Middle Eastern countries love to drink tea and in some countries the amount of tea consumed per person is high. In Europe, except in Ireland and England, drinking tea is not generally welcomed. In Africa, only the people of Morocco, Tanzania, and Egypt drink tea daily.
About 80% of the world’s tea consumption is black; the remaining 20% is green, oolong, red, and yellow. In the Polish market, black tea is the leader, accounting for almost 70% of the sales volume, as well. Green tea accounts for 7% and red tea accounts for 1.5% of sales.

Tea production, a non-stop industry

In 2015, about 5.2 million tons of tea were produced globally. In 2019, the global tea revenue is about $214,761 million and is expected to grow by 6.9% every year until 2023.
The effect of Corona on the tea industry
As the coronavirus pandemic had a devastating effect on many industries, the tea industry was no exception. Quarantines and social distancing regulations had a negative impact on the import and export of tea, which led to labor shortages, supply chain disruptions, and reduced production. A good example is Kenya, the largest tea-exporting country in Africa. Kenya’s tea industry was hit hard during the Corona era due to transport disruptions. In addition, India, the world’s second-largest producer of tea, was hit hard by the pandemic due to the complete shutdown of production facilities for months, affecting tea growers and the livelihoods of smallholders. In 2022, after the containment of Corona around the world, tea-related industries are also returning to the booming era before the outbreak of Corona.
In today’s world, the sale of tea is going strong and this trend will continue in the following years. Even with the continuous emergence of new beverages, the popularity of tea does not stop and evolves increasingly in new forms in every corner of the world.

How do you drink your tea?

It is interesting to know that every country and culture has its own customs and traditions about drinking tea. Usually, a host gives tea to guests as a sign of hospitality, and this is an accepted practice all over the world. In Turkey, tea is brewed strong and served in a small triangular glass with sugar.
In Morocco, drinking tea is like in Turkey, except that their glasses are bigger, and bunches of fresh mint are added to make the drink more refreshing. In the UK, tea is often drunk with plenty of milk and sugar, while in the US, iced tea is trendy.